Thursday, June 25, 2020

A Like No Other

Phil and I decided to take a true day off or at least a morning off from the studio, office, shop and just escape to a part of local Fort Flagler we had never explored before. We hiked around for a couple of hours along with Lucas who could not believe how low the swallows fly and how slow he seemed to be aware that he could not catch them!
Mount Baker
 The view from the top of the army's old battlements and former gun mounts was inspiring. The air was clear, warm, the water calm and no wind to chill us. We discovered the area on Sunday but could not walk any further because a field of deer, yes, deer, not flowers, appeared to the right of our walk. We all know what happens when dogs see deer and Lucas is no exception so we turned and headed home.
I thought I was seeing something magical though when this white spotted deer was in the field. A palomino deer! They were resting and grazing and making me feel like I had stumbled upon someone's private party and was woefully underdressed for the occasion. They looked at me standing in my mouth gaping surprise and did not even move. Hushed. Everything so reverently quiet.

It was a marvelous, bright, sparkly day and even the giant Dodge pickup truck that struck the back of my tiny Toyota did not lessen our sheer delight with the morning. Just the universe's way of reminding us to never take a moment for granted. So you know what I have to say? The lesson was heard. The reminder needed. The gratefulness for the day and a non injury accident still made for a bright, sparkly day!

Now, because life is too short
not to be amazed at what is right
next door to you... This is Lucas yesterday discovering he could see the chickens the neighbor has on just the other side of the fence. I think we need a
bigger peep hole. 





No comments: