Sunday, August 26, 2018

Summer Smoked!

We have been inundated with the sad smell of smoke from all the fires in British Columbia. It has wafted down here and made our days a horrid shade of pinkgray and the smell makes me react in sorrow as I think of all the great forests and trees lost to fire. I pray daily for rain and I want nothing more than the fires to end and the animals and nature recover. I think with pain and sadness for all the people who have lost their treasured possessions. I grieve right along side of all of them and they are never far from my thoughts.

In my grief, I turn to work that is comforting to me. Meditative to my mind and releasing in my emotions. Each movement becomes a prayer. Each turn a wish for rain. I have been wrapping sea glass and turning them into pendants. I have wrapped many as I have fallen in love with the ease of crafting with the bronze wires available now. All through last weekend's studio tour, as the smoke grew into the air all weekend; I wrapped pendants. Here then is a photo.

I think of them as mermaid jewels and like the colors of the waters around here. Aquas, sapphires, cobalt blues. The air may be colored gray and everything coated with a layer of black ash but the water remains...


I have added some of the two hole Carrier Beads into the shop for your design experimentation. These are glass and although I have not tried them yet, I think they will make up into some interesting work. More colors arriving shortly.



Finally, news that makes me excited to share - the building is getting a fresh coat of paint, the first in a very long time. The new sidewalks are in, the rain gardens planted and now, paint!! A great way to wrap up the summer in downtown Port Townsend! 

ps - if you see anything in the photos you would like to order or inquire about, just email me at lois@wynwoods.com or call the shop at 360-385-6131, daily 11 - 5:30. Alas, I am not  modern enough to have an answering machine there but a real person will answer your calls during those hours. Happy Beading my friends! Now off to attempt a rain dance!

No comments: